Linux Mint - Free and powerful

Monday, 16 April 2012

Getting started with LMDE "4" post 2 - Pulse, Alsa, Nouveau and Nvidia

Sound and Video

Everything is pretty much working now but I have no sound. I am now using a  Gigabyte G41MT-s2PT Motherboard so I guess Intel HD has an issue.

Pulse Audio vs Alsa


aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC889 Digital [ALC889 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
rayd@rayd123lmd4 ~ $ aplay -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
PulseAudio Sound Server
default:CARD=Intel
HDA Intel, ALC889 Analog
Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Intel
HDA Intel, ALC889 Analog
Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
HDA Intel, ALC889 Analog


Remove Pulse


The card exists so I guess it is Pulse giving me hassle. Time for Pulse to die! (This is optional - If Pulse works for you then you can leave it alone)
sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio libpulse-browse0 paman pavumeter pavucontrol
This file needs to be removed if you use skype etc.
sudo rm /etc/asound.conf
Add this:
sudo apt-get install libalsaplayer0
Removing Pulse is a hiding for nothing. I had to re-install Pulse after getting this message and pulling my hair out.

The audio device "default" could not be used linux


Activated the Nvidia Driver

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=96260&p=566197&hilit=delete+nvidia+drivers#p566197

Did a dumb thing I think. I have a new Sanyo CG20 that was on special with a second battery and 8GB SD card for RM600 so I did a few test videos and it was jerky with many artifacts. It was 1920 x 1080 at 60fps. I immediately (prematurely) blamed the Nouveau drivers and installed the Nvidia drivers. Up to that point the Nouveau drivers seemed pretty good.

sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
sudo nvidia-xconfig
Hmmmm, OK for a while there I had a very unstable machine. Whenever I played a video Cinnamon would crash. I could sign in to MATE and if I removed  ~/home/rayd/.local/share/recently-used.xbel I could restart Cinnamon till the next time I started a video. Loop.

I have no idea how I fixed it but what I did was re-install VLC, totem and gstreamer.

All seems ok now.

Snotkop is bopping on the second monitor and Asla is rocking the room. I can do with castle now and some biltong.





0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Your opinion is important and of value and we appreciate the positive feedback! If you are "Negative Nancy" then please do us, and humanity, a favor, and piss off.

Total Pageviews

Google+ Followers

Pages

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Recent Comments

Rays Twitter feed

Ads

Web sites come and go and information is lost and therefore some pages are archived. @rayd123. Powered by Blogger.