Linux Mint - Free and powerful

Sunday, 15 April 2012

Getting started with LMDE "4" post 1 XFCE, Shutter, New install

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1967

The latest version is out there. It is a Release Client (RC) version but that is good enough.

I started by downloading LMDE via Bit Torrent and then used unetbootin to create a bootable installation. I replaced a test version of LMDE on a standby machine.

Here is my journey with LMDE for today.

1. Use the awesome Cinnamon Desktop.

You can use this on Ubuntu and other distro's as well.
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?page_id=61
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:merlwiz79/cinnamon-ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon cinnamon-session cinnamon-settings
Optional - sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s cinnamon
Removing and re-installing the Ubuntu top bar
sudo apt-get remove appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt
sudo apt-get install appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt
2. Installed XFCE just in case and tested the desktop.

3. Made sure MATE was working as a desktop.

4. Configured the Video displays using the Gallium 0.4 NVC1 drivers. So far it works well so need need for NVidea drivers, yet. That may change.

5. Installed Shutter so I can add screen snapshots to this page.

 I opted for ext4 and not ext4dev cause I am a chicken!





6. I need to connect to my network and although SAMBA is installed and I can see the target machines and they can see me I can not seem to share a directory.

The easy option is to install the latest webmin to see what is going on.

Webmin for Debian

7. Run webmin - https://localhost:10000/








Create a share in my home directory so I can copy my previous desktop files.



Does this work? Lets check. All ok.
Actually I messed up. The username on this system was rayd123 instead of rayd. Webmin made this incredibly easy to change.

8. Now the big one. Start a new profile and reinstall or copy my old profile (Mint Lisa) or selectively copy?

Selective copy it is then. Now the question is from where to where?

Copied.

9. Copied the Mozilla, Chromium and other directories.

10. Install some software:

  • Audacity
  • Opera
  • Kdenlive
Tomorrow is another day. More later.




0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Your opinion is important and of value and we appreciate the positive feedback! If you are "Negative Nancy" then please do us, and humanity, a favor, and piss off.

Total Pageviews

Google+ Followers

Pages

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Recent Comments

Rays Twitter feed

Ads

Web sites come and go and information is lost and therefore some pages are archived. @rayd123. Powered by Blogger.